I have always been a big pasta fan, and Fettuccine Alfredo has been an all time favorite. Although I enjoy the flavor during, I feel heavy afterward. After playing around with cashew sauces in the kitchen and adding various seasonal ingredients such as butternut squash and sweet potato to make “cheesy” pasta sauces, with the inspiration of The Vegan 8 and Minimalist Baker, I decided to give my own version of Fettuccine Alfredo a go and it is SO DANG GOOD.
VEGAN ALFREDO SAUCE
- 1/2 Cup Raw Cashews (soaked)
- 1/2 Cup Steamed Cauliflower (mine was frozen)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak cashews in hot water for 30 minutes minimum (the longer the better), I usually leave mine for about an hour or two.
- Chop the onion into eights and place into skillet. Add in cauliflower. Next, add 2 cups vegetable broth and simmer for about 10 minutes or until all vegetable broth evaporates.
- Strain cashews.
- In a high speed blender, add cashews, garlic, lemon juice, almond milk, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Once all broth is evaporated from the skillet, add in onion and cauliflower.
- Blend on high for one minute or until creamy consistency.
- Add Alfredo sauce to noodles of choice and add in any vegetables of choice
* * If cauliflower does not settle well with your stomach, feel free to omit from the recipe! It works with or without it!