The amount of tea that I drink is insane. So, naturally I am prone to baking up some tasty treats to go alongside my tea and my first thought is always scones. I love scones but find a lot of recipes to be too heavy or sweet. These scones are perfectly sweet (but not too sweet), so simple to make, light, and the flavor is unreal. Trust me, you’ll be making these over and over again! This recipe is inspired by the wonderful, Minimalist Baker – the queen of vegan baking!
Blueberry Lemon + Rosemary Scones
1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 2 1/2 tbsp water)
3/4 c. unsweetened almond milk or oat milk
1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tbsp coconut flour
3/4 c. spelt flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 c. organic cane sugar (plus a bit more for topping)
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary
6 tbsp coconut oil (room temperature)
1/3 c frozen or dried wild blueberries
Zest of one lemon
4 tbsp (or more) confectioners sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare flax egg by mixing flaxseed meal and water and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, sugar, salt, rosemary and dried blueberries.
- Add in the room temperature coconut oil to the mixing bowl and cut in with a pastry cutter (or a fork)
- Place batter in the fridge for approximately 10 minutes
- Whisk the flax egg with the almond milk
- Add the flax and almond milk mixture into the mixing bowl containing the dry ingredients.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form the batter into a disk about 1 inch high and cut into wedges or just use a cookie scoop
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until scones are golden brown and fluffy
- Sprinkle the top with rosemary and drizzle with the lemon glaze.